Inside iPhone - no surprises

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

As analysts and technology enthusiasts rush to dissect the iPhone to unravel the 'closely-guarded' secrets of the chips inside, it does not come as a surprise to me. To most wireless insiders, putting two-and-two together should have been easy. In most of my blogs, I have been taking for granted that the Infineon GSM chip is inside. The other component chips were also fairly guessable based on public stance of some of these companies and general word-of-mouth.

So, though it comes as a confirmation to those dis-believers, its a fairly redundant one at that. To me what is interesting is the iPhone V2 going forward. That is where the guessing game should be. So, all the hoopla about shares of these chip-makers going up are ratifications of the truth, as I have pointed out in my previous articles, I would not be bullish about most of these companies based on what they have in there today.

For the uninitiated, Infineon's GSM chip, Marvell's Wi-Fi, Samsung's memory and BroadCom's controller chip are in the iPhone. Intel, TI and National also had a share of the pie.

0 comments:

Post a Comment